Can Nutritional Supplements Prevent Alzheimer’s?

Share

nutritional supplements alzheimer'sA recent article in Dynamic Chiropractic shows nutritional supplements may prevent Alzheimer’s or at least slow its progress. James P. Meschino, DC, MS recommends 10 strategies to help prevent the memory-erasing disease.

Meschino writes that only about 2 percent of all Alzheimer’s cases are hereditary and that the other 98% of cases may be linked to dietary and lifestyle factors. Let’s look at some of his tips and how nutritional supplements may help prevent this scary, no-cure disease.

Lower Your Cholesterol

One of the key factors affecting Alzheimer’s disease is vascular dementia – or a reduced blood flow to brain cells caused by clogged arteries. Vitamin C supplementation alongside dietary and exercise interventions may help you lower your risk of less blood flow to the brain and your chances of developing Alzheimer’s.

A 2008 study shows that a 500 mg supplement with vitamin C could reduce your bad blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels in as little as four weeks. The study which included meta-analysis on 13 randomized studies regarding cholesterol and vitamin C between 1970 and 2007 suggests that taking this simple supplement for a month can “result in a significant decrease in serum LDL cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations.”

Reduce Oxidation with C & E

According to Meschino, taking at least 400 International Units (IU) of vitamin E and 1,000 mg of vitamin C can slow oxidation in the brain. Oxidation causes damage to your brain’s cells and “is a consistent feature in Alzheimer’s disease.” And “some studies show that individuals taking vitamin E and vitamin C supplements (at a minimum threshold dosage) are less prone to future onset of Alzheimer’s disease.

A very recent study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s disease shows that a lack of vitamin C and beta carotene may be linked to the debilitating disease. One theory for its cause suggests that Alzheimer’s is a result of plaque buildup in the brain. It’s believed that the plaque buildup and the changes they make may lead to the oxidation mentioned above.

Researchers in this new study observed 1,500 patients between 65 and 90 years old. They were interviewed about their lifestyle, had their body mass index (BMI) taken as well as blood samples. The data was divided between patients with Alzheimer’s and those without.

Levels of CoQ10, lycopene and vitamin E were no different between the two groups, reports WellBeing.com.au. “However, vitamin C and beta carotene levels were much lower in people with Alzheimer’s.”

It’s going to take more research, but as we and our customers know – vitamin C is good for your health and mind.

Don’t Forget Your B Vitamins

According to a recent article in Psychology Today, our brains really do shrink over time, but the super powerful B vitamins, especially B12 may be able to help us ward off this reduction in our thinker.

The short of how B vitamins help us reduce brain shrinkage has to do with something called the folate cycle. In this cycle, your B vitamins help the protein in your food “metabolize and modulate into building blocks” for essential bodily needs such as neurotransmitters and DNA.

Homocysteine, which is considered the “bad boy” amino acid is created during this folate cycle. When Mr. Homocysteine runs wild (beyond normal levels due to poor nutrition), it causes all sorts of havoc: “leaving your arteries and cartilage all crispy and brittle.”¬†disulfide bridges of the elastic proteins, leaving your arteries and cartilage all crispy and brittle. ” It’s linked to bipolar disorder, hypertension and vascular disease.

In addition to these conditions, homocysteine is thought to be related to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s later in life, writes Dr. Emily Dean in the Psychology Today article.

Dean recaps how some vitamin trials affect homocysteine levels. In her recap, she writes that folic acid can reduce the bad boy amino acid by up to 25 percent. Vitamin B12 adds a 7 percent reduction.

While more research is necessary to see the long-term effects of B vitamins on Alzheimer’s and brain shrinkage, Dean says that vitamin B can’t hurt your brain or your diet.

Next Steps: Check out our selection of nutritional supplements and liposomal C products to help you maximize your memory and your long-term health.

Share

Like This Post? Share It